Taihun

Kobold Hunt pt. 5

Swooping down to the ground after his failed second attempt at conflagrating the crowd of Kobolds, Shadowflame lands uphill of the scattering creatures. Catching one in his mouth, he visciously shakes it from side to side until it dies, its limp body marking an end to its struggles.

At the base of the hill, as the Dragons all land and move in for the kill, Aar calls out to one about to leap at Hex. It turns, Hex's face disappearing into the shadows behind it, only the eyes glinting giving away she's even there. Music starts to fill the air, Aar's lyre being strummed beautifully. Looking as though he is about to serenade the Kobold, its head cocking to the side in curiosity mingled with confusion, its chest still having from running, Aar address it. "I heard that kobolds can have strange sexual habits… but looking at you… gosh… your mother must have done something really really wrong…" The Kobold seems to be taken aback by the tone, knowing the meaning behind the words if not the words themselves. As an existential dread seems to overcome the creature, so too does the mouth of Hexfang, cutting into its side and starting to rip and its flesh. Once it is suitably pulverished and stretched, Hexfang begins feasting.

Gemscale stalks the last Kobold, the creature looking at the horror scene around it and starting to flee, only to be confronted by Cragenak stepping out boldly from his perch. An arrow launching into its left shoulder, it turns to run the other way, falling back once it see Gemscale pouncing into the air. Landing his feet on the ground and picking up the Kobold with his arms, Gemscale draws the Kobold close to his mouth. Articulate reptilian lips undulate around silvery toothy nubs, Gemscale pausing for a moment before shouting so as to be heard clearly above the Lyre, feasting and gnashing sounds all around. "Do not fight anymore or I will eat you limb by limb, and then leave you here to die a slow, agonizing death for your blasphemous aggression against us dragons, for you should be idolizing our power!"

The Kobold wriggles in Gemscale's grasp but doesn't manage to get free. Instead it yips away in the Kobold tongue, yarping on and on for a good minute or so. It then looks longingly at Gemscale, almost as though it's willing the Dragon to understand.

What do you do?

You are no longer in combat.

Cragenak +5XP
Hexfang +5XP
Gemscale +10XP
Shadowflame +5XP
Aar +10XP

View
Citadel Delve pt. 28

Bolstered by destroying almost half of the invading force in the corridor, Nix and Lorawyn both step forward and throw their arms forward, a splash of water turning to ice and flying like a dart to the nearest twisted creature, Nix's bolt of flame launching up and over the cage, missing Ero, and both hurtling down the corridor. As the Ice Knife stabs into the Meenlock, just as it's about to explode the Firebolt arcs down and strikes the beast, melting the Ice Knife into a puddle. The rapid cooling and heating seems to have mitigated most of the harm.

Seeing this, Adrik moves his hands onto his shoulders, looking as though he's putting on a backpack. With a strained start, like a man hauling a boulder, Adrik marches towards the cage, hauls himself over it and slides down, passing Ero without even a word or a look. Ero calls over the Dwarf's shoulder to the Meenlock, "I don't suppose there's any chance you lot came selling magazine subscriptions?"

"Darrin! Don't you see? Your powers worked, and you burned those things to dust." Darrin nods and immediately steps in front of the cage again and closes his eyes again, placing his hands as he did before and concentrating.

Marching through the bone-white stringy roots breaking through the stone corridor, stepping around the slightly smoking moist husks of dead Meenlocks in his way while drawing his quarterstaff, Adrik wordlessly spins his weapon over his head and conks the closest living Meenlock squarely between its eyes. It gives a low moan, like something trapped within its own skin.

Firing over Darrin's shoulders, Korik, Talison and Bennet all loose arrows and crossbow bolts at the Meenlocks still wriggling. As the missiles soar down the corridor, over Adrik and into their targets, Darrin's spell billows forth from his hands and fills the area ahead of him. Simon and Jila take a step forward at the same time and shout for him to stop, Jila charging at him a moment later when he sees he's too late, tackling Darrin to the ground.

Roll initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

Ero needs to make a Wisdom saving throw.

Adrik needs to make a Wisdom saving throw and a Dexterity saving throw. The Dexterity saving throw is DC 14, and if you fail you take 7 fire damage, and you take 3 fire damage if you succeed.

The nearest Meenlock is now 10 feet away, halfway along the corridor. There are 2 of them bunched together, and another just behind them 15 feet away. There are 3 Meenlocks total.

The party is infused with the spirit of the Bear; you have 7 Temporary Hit Points. You also all have advantage on Strength saving throws.

Korik has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks except Strength. This does not include saves or attacks.

Lorawyn has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks except Strength. This does not include saves or attacks.

Talison has 2 levels of exhaustion, meaning he has disadvantage on all ability checks exceot Strength. This does not include saves or attacks. His speed is also halved.

Korik +5XP
Talison +5XP
Nix +5XP
Darrin +10XP
Lorawyn +5XP
Adrik +10XP
Ero +5XP

View
Citadel Delve pt. 27
Roasted Meenlock

Seeing the creatures all being entangled in the pale, subterrainian roots and vines by Adrik’s spell emboldens the group, the growl of the bear in their hearts and the rally of Nix in their ears. Adrik strains against invisible forces, fighting the Meenlocks as they wriggle and struggle to no avail. One reaches a claw out towards Talison, who simply swipes his sword at it, forcing the claw back down. The blade evidently caused the thing pain, at least.

Lorawyn takes advantage of the distraction her comrade brings and steps towards the cage at the same time as Nix and Darrin, all of them bumping into each other. A brief instance of pleasantries erupts and is resolved, with Lorawyn stepping to the cage first and pushing her head against and between the bars as far as she can, before taking in a quick raspy breath and pushing it out along with a gout of flame. The shape of the corridor forces it to all funnel down and over the Meenlocks, their screams and cries a strange cacophony that’s oddly soothing in the moment. Satisfied, Lorawyn nods and steps aside, Nix moving forward and sharing a quick thankful smile.

Nix then turns her head slowly to the Meenlocks in the corridor ahead and her face drops to neutral, but her eyes were frustrated with these fell creatures. She steps back with one foot, arches her arm in the air and swings it around like an underarm throw, striking the Meenlock trapped in the vines just ahead. It’s legs kicking, Nix’s hands linger a moment as the creature in front of her sits wreathed in her flames.

Giving a minorly indignant “Ahem”, Darrin manages to get into the same position in front of the cage, Nix and Lorawyn now standing to the side. Darrin breathes deep, drawing on his fear and rage from his moments within the Fey realm. Snapping his eyes open, hoping to see the burning corridor that he would be adding to… instead he sees Talison, climbing down from the top of the cage and moving to the back of the room, presumably away from all these people trying to throw flames from beneath him.

Bennet, Korik and Ero quickly take advantage, all drawing their bows and loosing arrows into the corridor with a satisfying rapid pattern to their release. The arrows sail past Darrin, further distracting him. He kicks he feet back one after the other, trying to curb his frustrations at his friends while he tried to concentrate on producing flames from nothingness, a feat he surely could accomplish were he truly a sorcerer as he was beginning to suspect. Moving his hands into position, as he had tried before, he closed his eyes again and breathed deep. Only this time he couldn’t shake the frustration. He was angry. Furious, even. His companions have all managed to hurt these things and he couldn’t even muster a spark! Enraged, Darrin let out a frustrated yell and then pulled his hands back down, sulking off to the side so that others might get a better shot.

Simon blinks in disbelief at the scene. Not only had three of the party taken moments out of a harrowing situation to politely discuss the order in which they were going to throw fire itself down a corridor at pure monsters with ill intent to the group, apologising for getting in each other’s way; Darrin had followed up Nix’s impressive conflagration with a spout of flame far brighter than the others, encompassing most of the creatures, and simply walked away disappointed. The man simply shoots quizzical looks around at no-one in particular, Jila being the only one seemingly able to return the look as he stands bracing the cage so that it isn’t easily moved by the monsters.

Ero and Talison quickly exchange a plan about a possible escape route shout the defences fall short, and while Talison moves to the metal door to again try to lift it, Ero takes Talison’s place atop the cage now that the pyrotechnics appear to be mostly completed. Climbing up there, however, Ero gets this sudden unease in the pit of his stomach and a feeling of dread just looking at the alien, milky eyes of these creatures.

Roll initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

2 of the Meenlocks are dead (the 2 nearest). The nearest Meenlock is now 10 feet away, halfway along the corridor. There are 2 of them bunched together, and another just behind them 15 feet away.

The party is infused with the spirit of the Bear; you have 7 Temporary Hit Points. You also all have advantage on Strength saving throws.

Korik has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks except Strength. This does not include saves or attacks.

Lorawyn has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks except Strength. This does not include saves or attacks.

Talison has 2 levels of exhaustion, meaning he has disadvantage on all ability checks exceot Strength. This does not include saves or attacks. His speed is also halved.

Korik +5XP
Talison +5XP
Nix +5XP
Darrin +5XP
Lorawyn +5XP
Adrik +5XP
Ero +5XP

View
Kobold Hunt pt. 4
Flame Wars

Shadowflame swooped on down the hill, climbed up and flipped over, turning around to make another pass at the Kobolds scrambling down the hill. He could see the green and gold dragons, their Orcish companion, all fighting haphazardly. Were he looking for an easy score, this group might well make for a promising target. Alas, they also look poor. As he nears for another strike, Shadowflame breathes deep and roars wide… only for no more flame to come out. He had spent all his reserves and needed to rest before he could breathe fire again. A pity, as getting one’s scales bent out of shape at a young age is not desirable.

Hexfang charges up the hill to attack the Kobolds head on, their cowardice angering her. Racing up, she manages to close the gap. The Kobolds throw their javelins while running, striking the red dragon, green dragon and half-orc. Hexfang leaps forward, roaring at the javelin slashing across her arm, and lands amongst a small group of the hellions. Swiping her tail, she clobbers one across the head, the creature stumbling and striking it’s head upon a rock. Taking advantage of the chaos, Cragenak leaps up again from his hiding spot, as useful as it was, and draws his bow at one of the Kobolds near HexFang.

Gemscale swoops down and moves to a group of Kobolds far from HexFang, so as not to catch her in his breath. Feeling the churning in his stomach coming up through his throat, out fly the gouts of licking red flame that engulf a herd of his targets. Grabbing one from the flames, Gemscale tosses it in the air as he flies by and crunches into it, only the torso making it down his oesophagus while the extremities find themselves scattered across the hillside.

Cragenak’s bow tracks a Kobold untouched by Gemscale’s flame. Once he releases, barely a heartbeat passes until its’ stops.

Aaron’s travels were arduous, the journey north taking a couple of years. He knew it was only a few months travel, but he could not resist making a few stops along the way, seeing some of the grander natural wonders the world has to offer. Sampling the delights of the world was, after all, his bread and butter.

Finally, after catching a ride with a Dwarven garrison supply caravan, he managed to find himself within walking distance of Hagijk, Orc stronghold against the Giant Lands! What tales could this quaint city whisper to him? Would he get to witness a Giant being bested by an Orc one-eighth its’ size? Perhaps a song of hardship in the Allwinter Sun?

On his way, the morning turning the midday, Aaron did catch sight of a giantess pounding on a rock; a curious sight, but perhaps best to find more local information before wading into what may very well be a local custom! Onward to Hagijk, narrowly avoiding a small pride of lions watching the road from atop a windy hilltop. Upon reaching the city and managing to talk his way past the city guard, he happened upon a young fellow dashing about. Being the only one to apologise when their shoulders clashed, Aaron managed to strike up a short but mouth-watering conversation from… Ingrid… Ingmar… Ing-something-or-other. The important detail that Aaron very much enjoyed was what had happened earlier: Dragons! Two dragons, travelling together, heading north in search of Kobolds reportedly raiding the nearby farms.

After getting the details, Aaron said a hasty goodbye to the Ing-boy and rushed back out of the city gates as they close, narrowly avoiding being crushed by a Hill Giant-operated gate system the Orcs seem to employ. Rushing north as fast as he can, without stopping, a huge grin on his face as the sun begins to set into night, the thought of seing real, live Dragons in the flesh made Aaron’s skin tingle. As soon as darkness took hold, he found the lights of the distant farms inviting. He was now cold and hungry. Trudging along a desire line in the hilly savanna, he hears on the edge of his senses the sound of strained yapping and barking, a few terrifying roars and other sounds of battle. Charging to the top of the hill, Aaron manages to catch the glow of a green flame mowing along the next hillside over the small valley, a dozen or so small dark figures sillhouetted by the bright fire. Moments later, a bright red flame shoots across the hill, setting more of the things alight. TWO DRAGONS! And other shapes, too distant to make out in the darkness. Despite a clear sky, stars and a distant glow on the horizon to the north, the shade of the nearby mountains blocking the moon makes it impossible to makes things out clearly. Charging towards the danger, eager to meet a dragon, Aaron rushes in.

Roll for initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

There are now only 3 Kobolds.

HexFang takes 5 HP damage.

Cragenak takes 1 HP damage.

Shadowflame takes 3 HP damage.

Cragenak +5XP
Hexfang +5XP
Gemscale +5XP
Shadowflame +5XP

View
Kobold Hunt pt. 3
Triple Dragon

HexFang roars her mighty roar, commanding the Kobolds to stand down and drop their weapons. For a moment, it seems like they just might, but then Cragenak jumps up from behind the bush he is crouched behind, bow drawn, and launches an arrow into the nearest Kobold. With them being distracted and about to surrender, the arrow takes them completely by surprise and slaughters the creature immediately. “Taste the wrath of the allies of HexFang!” the draconic tongue didn’t agree with Cragenak, but he shouted clearly enough.

A moment of indignation is quickly overpowered by rage as the Kobolds grab their javelins and charge down the hill, readying their arms to hurl yet more at their prey. Gemscale turns and charges back towards the hill, managing to get fairly close, when a large dark shape rises from behind the Kobolds over the hill. Suddenly swooping down upon them, it opens its mouth and, without warning, breathes a mighty green flame upon the tiny horde, many of the critters leaping to the side and rolling a little ways down the hill to get away. While none succumb to the heat, many are worse for the encounter. They immediately get back to their feet, however, and now divert their energies.

Two distinct small clouds of javelins rain down, one on the small green-flaming dragon as it sails above, the other at the Half-Orc who slaughtered one of their own. Cragenak manages to step aside of one only to find himself in the path of another, impaling his foot. The green-spouting dragon managed to roll aside in the air, the javelins missing him, but he seemed to not expect such a retaliation.

Roll for initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

There are now only 14 Kobolds.

ShadowFlame took 1 damage.
Cragenak took 3 damage.

Cragenak +5XP
Hexfang +5XP
Gemscale +5XP
Shadowflame +5XP

View
Citadel Delve pt. 26
Meenlock Combat

Ero, the enigmatic being that came in a bolt of lightning mere moments ago, orients himself with the people he finds himself with. For a moment he sees people moving about, orders being given, options explored, friendly glances shared and a bolstering speech given by one of the smallest among the group. Despite a towering beast, several obvious soldiers and others, this one seemed in charge. Curious. Ero’s instincts kicked in, and he was immediately drawn to her.

The clacking sound gets closer and closer. Suddenly, a flurry of motion begins as the first Meenlock is spotted. Ero touches Nix’s shoulder just as she dashes forward, clutching the scrap of paper in his belt as he almost mindlessly utters the words upon it under his breath. When she moves out of reach, still muttering the last few syllables he strings his bow and nocks and arrow calmly.

The short, pale creatures move swiftly around the corner from the room into the tunnel, charging full speed and numbering five now. Simon raises his staff, the light still glowing brightly, to get a better look at them; their milky eyes flinch at the bright light before them, although their advance does not stop. Racing to the end of the corridor one crashes into the metal cage blocking the path, scrambling up and trying to get by only to be confronted by a barrier created by Talison’s shield, the Magolglir warrior holding firm against the coming tide.

Korik, Lorawyn and Nix, standing as they are in a staggered pattern, all aim over or through the bars of the blocking cage at creatures on the other side. Korik looses an arrow, quickly followed by a bolt of fire and a shard of ice, all of which land strikes against the strange beasts, but they all seem to leave nought but superficial grazings to the creatures.

Adrik looks on, his demeanour oddly calm. He breathes deeply through his nose, and then kneels down to the ground placing his palms flat upon the stone floor. Giving it a gentle caress, he closes his eyes and then stops moving his hands. Straining against an invisible force, Adrik stands up again, looking as though he’s pulling on some unseen rope attached to the ground. His muscles ache and strain, and the air grows a little cooler still. As he starts to lose his ability to restrain his low growl, the stone in the floor of the corridor begins to crack a little. He shouts a little louder, and the cracks grow a little larger. Adrik then lets out a deliberate yawp, eyes bulging and his arms straining hard against the invisible rope. Thick, pale roots shoot up through the stone in the corridor, the entire length of it, seeming alive and wrapping themselves deliberately around the Meenlocks. Grabbing them by wrists, ankles, neck and around the waist of the one trying the climb the cage, all of the creatures become trapped and entangled amongst the vines now filling the corridor.

Roll initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

Talison and Darrin, please make Wisdom saving throws.

The party is infused with the spirit of the Bear; you have 7 Temporary Hit Points. You also all have advantage on Strength saving throws.

Korik has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks except Strength. This does not include saves or attacks.

Lorawyn has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks except Strength. This does not include saves or attacks.

Talison has 2 levels of exhaustion, meaning he has disadvantage on all ability checks exceot Strength. This does not include saves or attacks. His speed is also halved.

Korik +5XP
Talison +5XP
Nix +5XP
Darrin +5XP
Lorawyn +5XP
Adrik +5XP
Ero +5XP

View
Citadel Delve pt. 25
Defensive Position

The Meenlocks bolt from their position at the base of the tunnel slope, charging up towards the group. After a moment, they leave the light of the strange purple fungi below and into the dark of the tunnel; until they get close enough, not even those accustomed to the dark could see them.

Nix rallies everyone to follow her back to the room with the cages, the party drawing weapons and taking advantages positions. Talison, Jila and Simon drag one of the cages in front of the corridor. The cage is wide enough to cut off the corridor, but not tall enough to completely block it. The bars also provide a good vantage for ranged attacks. Bennet takes up position at the rear of the top end of the room near the mould on the walls, bow strung and arrow nocked.

Adrik looks around calmly, lifting a meaty hand to his face and slowly dragging it down his beard. He turns to face the corridor while standing in the middle of the room. Flexing the muscles in his arms, Adrik then hunches over, taking on the physicality of a beast of the forest; he stamps his feet and then raises his hands in a claw-like fashion above his head. As he opens his mouth, a bear’s growl escapes and echoes in the room. As odd as the display is, coming from Adrik it is strangely emboldening. Everyone in the room feels stronger, braver and more ready for what is to come.

The room shifts slightly as people begin to configure themselves. Adrik takes his quarterstaff in his hands and stands with his back to the wall next to the cage blocking the corridor. Simon stands next to Adrik, his staff lighting the room again. The silence descends again, and all that’s left is the distant clacks getting closer…

Roll initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

The Meenlocks are currently advancing, but you have 18 seconds (3 rounds) before they get into view. Please take 3 turns of actions/dialogue, and then a 4th turn dealing with visible Meenlocks at the end of the corridor (20 feet away).

The party is infused with the spirit of the Bear; you have 7 Temporary Hit Points. You also all have advantage on Strength saving throws.

Korik has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks except Strength. This does not include saves or attacks.

Lorawyn has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks except Strength. This does not include saves or attacks.

Talison has 2 levels of exhaustion, meaning he has disadvantage on all ability checks exceot Strength. This does not include saves or attacks. His speed is also halved.

Korik +5XP
Talison +0XP
Nix +5XP
Darrin +5XP
Lorawyn +0XP
Adrik +5XP
Ero +0XP

View
Kobold Hunt pt. 2
Pointed Rain

Gemscale swerves west, heading towards the farms as fast as he can not to escape the kobolds, but to get some straight-line distance and hopefully double back and flank them. The kobolds, hearing the swooping in the air, turn their attentions and some ready javelins.

Cragenak dashes up the hill, finding a berry bush and crouching down behind it, taking out his bow and stringing it ready for whatever comes. The rolling hills are taking time for Cragenak to handle, the clots of mud and grass and inconsistent texture throwing off his balance. He’s used to sturdier grounds when hunting, and has only managed half the distance he would otherwise normally have attained.

HexFang shakes her head, disappointed that the Kobolds are being treated this way, and that Cragenak is hiding. “Greetings friends, I am HexFang of the Fang Clan, this is my comrade, Cragenak. How are you?” The Kobolds, charging down the hill already, do not stop to chat. reaching about a quarter of the way down the hill and then stopping to throw their javelins. HexFang notes that only the first ten threw at first, the rear five carrying a dozen more javelins each and sticking them into the ground behind the front line.

The hail of ten javelins shocks HexFang, who leaps to the side to avoid the onslaught. Visibly shaken, HexFang takes a moment to compose herself.

Roll for initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

HexFang takes 6 points of damage from the Javelins.

Cragenak +0XP
Hexfang +5XP
Gemscale +0XP

View
Kobold Hunt
Hunted Hunters

The three discuss briefly the potential threat of the Kobolds and their reported farm raids, and how to deal with such. Gemscale, eager to act, spreads his wings and launches into the air. Hexfang and Cragenak watch in dismay at the arrogance of youth before walking steadily along the road back out of Hagijk. By the time they walk up the slope and through the gate, Gemscale has doubled back and soars above them, the remains of his kill further along the road.

It is only upon reaching into the late afternoon and cresting a low hill that the farmlands can be seen to the west and slightly south; the trio had travelled too far. A brief moment of frustrated silence between them then gives way to the Outlander using his skills at tracking. Noting the position of the farms, their proximity to patrol routes and the city and the terrain as he can see it, the Kobolds could be striking from one of four different directions. Without more information, he has no way of knowing where to go from here.

As the cool, dry air begins to give way to the night and cooler winds, distant wolf howls and various other animal noises take over from the chirping of insects and birds. Taking to the air again before needing to settle for the evening, Gemscale scans the horizon for any signs of Kobold activity. He sees something a little more pressing.

With Hexfang and Cragenak in a valley between rolling hills, Gemscale spots to their north a pack of kobold warriors, spears in hand, stalking the group. While some are darting between berry bushes in the twilight, their number appears to be around fifteen. Ahead to the east, two miles away, lies the nearest farm, the only shelter nearby.

Roll for initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

Hexfang and Cragenak, please make perception checks. You need to beat a DC of 15 to be able to avoid being surprised.

Gemscale, you’re in the air currently, 30ft above the ground. The nearest Kobold is still 120ft away from you. They are on top of a hill.

Cragenak +5XP
Hexfang +5XP
Gemscale +5XP

View
Citadel Delve pt. 24
Divine Intervention

Talison quickly scans the area, his eyes darting about. The unhallowed place provides no ideal tactical advantage from what he can see. Focusing on his warrior’s training and personal resolve, he pushes empathy from his mind in order to save those he can; his inhereted Elven pragmatism perhaps saving his life this day. Placing a firm hand on Darrin and Korik’s shoulders, he spits his words in a hushed fervour. “Balls! This is no good.” Pushing off and urging the other two to follow him back through the portal, Darrin shrugs violently and grabs Korik’s arm. Talison’s eyes falter for a moment, his confidence in their fate dwindling. Consigned to his practical solution, Talison jogs purposefully to the portal and falls through.

Korik watches as one Half-Elf travels back through the portal; he then turns to see another Half-Elf stopping him from doing the same. “Wudmirk.” Darrin hisses, his urgency apparent over the hushed register of his voice.
“Who the hell is Wood Mark? What the hell is this? Korik wants answers!”
Quickly pushing his finger to his pursed lips and waving Korik into a crouched position, Darrin shushes him and points aggressively to the half-transformed creature lashed to the harness ahead. “We have to help Wudmirk! The elf- The… Thing, on the tree, that is Wudmirk, and it might not be too late for him.”
Korik follows Darrins point, his face stern and analytical as his flat nose crinkles and his nostrils flare out to the sides.
Darrin continues “If I can make enough of a distraction, can you see if you can sneak round and free him?”
Korik’s face snaps back to look at Darrin, his fierce eyes hiding a twinge of compassion for Darrin’s tenacity. “Korik respcts intention. But Korik picks Korik’s battles.” Their quiet tones are difficult in the thick air, but they manage. He gestures to the strange dim light shining all around them. “Korik can’t sneak up to creature like that in broad daylight. Korik can kill Wood Mark. That is all Korik can do for him.” Korik examines Darrin’s face as it flickers with disappointment and a misdirected rage. “Isn’t that obvious?”
“Fine!” Darrin fights to avoid getting louder, his face beginning to turn red as he spits out the words. “Go back, or make yourself less obvious. I’m going to see if I can chase that – Thing – away.”

With that, Darrin stands and pushes through the curtain of willow branches and begins to edge closer and closer to the terrifying scene in front of him. Wudmirk begins thrashing again, his hooked thumb bones fusing and becoming serated on the inside, his skin peeling back as a hard chitin starts pushing against it from the inside. Darrin’s hands begin trailing a smooth steam, and he feels all his anger, fear and anxiety channeling through them. His fear amplifies as he steps closer and closer, knowing that at any moment he is sure to be seen in the open like this, regardless of their engrossment in their sick ritual. As Darrin gets close enough, he stops for a moment, breathing in the heavy moist air and spreading his hands out. He’s sure that if he concentrates, he can produce more fire than he has before all at once. He starts pushing his mind, but he simply can’t get it to work! He thinks of Wudmirk, of the strange gangly Fey creature and the abberations before him, trying to think of something that would make his damn hands work! Why won’t they work?! Darrin looks up, realising that his laboured breathing has attracted unwanted attention. The insects start moving towards him. Darrin claps his hands and holds them out again, trying as hard as he can to get his hands to shoot fire. CLAP! Nothing… CLAP!! They’re getting closer, why won’t they work? CLAP!

An arrow flies into Wudmirk’s head, straight in the eye socket, killing him instantly. For a moment, the strange insects turn to see as the tall Dark Fey opens her mouth wide, forcing an unnatural shriek to come from all around, like wet rubber filtered through nails on a chalkboard. Darrin stares at his hands for a moment.
“Darrin! Run!” The gravelly growl of Korik booms through the tree canopy, piercing through the scream of the Fey. Without thinking twice, Darrin bolts back the way he came, pushing through the smokey air and slamming his feet into the ground with every step, lungs burning by the time he gets to the portal with Korik, who dives into it immediately.

Nix, Talison, Adrik, Lorawyn, Bennet, Simon and Jila have been sharing information, outlining what was seen in this Fey realm. Nix tells them all of the portals, how they seem to sap your energy going through. She shares her theory that the Edhel group may have been captured and transformed by this Dark Fey, or they simply left Wudmirk to his fate. Either way, more insectoid clacking can be heard down the next tunnel. Bennet crouches by the tunnels edge and peers down, taking note that four of these “Meenlocks” appear to be down there, underlit by a glowing fungus on the floor. The tunnel goes down for a few hundred feet it seems, with the creatures at the far end.

Nix rallies everyone, pointing out that all their skills will be needed. Talison straightens and puffs his chest, trying to appear ready to fight should the time come, but his pallor betrays him. Adrik and Lorawyn both raise their heads and sniff moments before everyone else can feel something in the air, followed by an almost refreshing ozone smell.
“Now what?!” Cries Simon, obviously becoming more agitated that he’s putting people in such danger. A sheet of lightning begins coruscating along the ceiling of the room before coalescing into a bolt and shooting down the tunnel at a steep angle, a monumental sonic boom quickly following. As the boom subsides, the group hears what seems like someone tumbling down the slope and striking the wall hard. Bennet’s eyes widen as he motions everyone over. About thirty or so feet down the tunnel, curled up into themselves, is the steaming shape of a man, one hand bracing on the wall. The hand has a subtle electric-blue hue to it. He is clad in chain armour, cloth tabard and is armed. Simon seems to recognise something about this being, quickly assuring everyone that he should mean no harm. He is about to shout a greeting when Jila and Bennet both grab his mouth and shush him, pointing out the Meenlocks further down the tunnel.

Just as Simon relaxes down again, he lets out a short, high-pitched gasp covering a scream as Darrin and Korik fly out of the portal in the wall, both hitting the ground hard and rolling. Adrik runs over and helps them up, motioning to the tunnel.

Roll initiative (1d20 + Dexterity bonus). What do you do?

The Meenlocks have heard a noise, but since Simon wasn’t shining his staff down the tunnel they can’t see any of you. Yet.

Darrin and Korik both have to roll Constitution saving throws for their return journey. DC 10, failure gives you 1 level of exhaustion.

Lorawyn has 1 level of exhaustion, meaning she has disadvantage on all ability checks. This does not include saves or attacks.

Talison has 2 levels of exhaustion, meaning he has disadvantage on all ability checks. This does not include saves or attacks. His speed is also halved.

Korik +30XP
Talison +20XP
Nix +20XP
Darrin +30XP
Lorawyn +0XP
Adrik +0XP

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.