Taihun

The Open Choice
The Options...

Leaving Taytay and the Kobold city of Hadrukk behind, HexFang and Gemscale share the weight of carrying Zadkiel, Lorrias and Aar up and out of the ruined temple walls. Carrying the eggs in their packs, the party soars over the valley, past the crater that brought Zadkiel into the picture. As they approach the edge of the valley, thoughts begin to swirl.

What should they do now? They have Dragon eggs, now. Do they care for them? How long do they take to incubate? How do they incubate them? What kind of dragons are they? Will their families want them back? How did the Kobolds get them?

On top of that, Lorrias is further from the symbol he wanted. Where else can he go to learn about ancient Giants and their knowledge that he seeks? Are there any descendants to talk to? Would these Dragons know anything?

Aar will need to land and make notes on his adventure today, lest the knowledge leave him. And perhaps a long, well-deserved rest after that harrowing misadventure. And what of this “crater-man”, Zadkiel? What’s his story? Why did the Dragons grab him? What did Taytay want with his blood?

And how far should the party travel today? The Kobolds were giving them a head start, and apparently still want both the eggs and HexFang because of a broken deal he made with… Gorbane, was it? Aar is struggling to keep all the details straight in his head. He needs to write this down.

What do you do?

To the South is Hargijk, the Orc city. There are friendly people there.

To the North-East is Hyxhuathil, the Giant tribal village.

To the East is the fallen Tower that had strange gravity.

Hexfang +10XP
Gemscale +10XP
Zadkiel +10XP
Aar +10XP
Lorrias +10XP

View
Korath Discoveries pt. 5
Trillhelm's Hall

Nix asks Gidye if King Trillhelm should be notified of Geran being a Dragon… News to Gidye, but she recovers from the information and suggests that it should be the next thing on the agenda.

Darrin volunteers to watch Geran while the King is spoken to about the situation. Due to the offer, Jila considers his opinion on the matter to perhaps be useful in convincing Trillhelm of this outlandish claim. Bennet and Korik join also as witnesses, while Simon will go to the Inn to prepare the rooms and his coinpurse.

Adrik and Theodore confirm their intention to stay with Lorawyn and decide where they’re going next… cooing over the sleeping baby wolf in Adriks hands. Ero, meanwhile, stands by mostly ignored, his minor litter of miniature fungus men beginning to rummage through his pack.

Lorawyn transforms back into her true form and pulls Darring aside violently. “What do you think you’re doing, eh?!” She whisper-hisses with a growl at the back of her throat during the softer sounds. “Talking to that… that dirtbag!?”
“Lorawyn… I think there’s more to him than meets the eye. Apart from the stuff we already know about.”
Lorawyn casts a sideways glance at Darrin, watching him closely and putting her disapproval on full display.

Gidye steps towards the door leading to the city. “I will escort you to Trillhelm. I can get an immediate audience.”

Nix, Jila, Bennet and Korik go with Gidye. Darrin stays to watch Geran. Simon heads to the Inn to prepare for the debrief and payment of the party.

The road to Korath is a straight one, and is pitch black. It is absurdly clean, however; The well-shaped stone blocks that make up the floor, walls and vaulted ceiling are polished, the speckles of minerals within the stone shining through the dull reflection of the lamplight. Each step echoes down the tunnel, a constant companion. Three miles and almost an hour later, the tunnel ends in a door of the most compact-looking oak. The heavy door is pushed slightly open by Gidye, and it then seems to open itself the rest of the way. Emerging into a side-street of sorts, Nix, Jila and the others see they are in a carved cavern.

On the ceiling, masons work with hammers and chisels, breaking away small bits of stone to raise the roof and make it smoother. The walls to either side of the doorway progress a few feet before turning sharply away. It appears the doorway is between two buildings, carved from the stone. A wide street divides two sides, both with carved buildings that stand several stories tall. Glassy crystals hang from metal pipes that run along the sides of the street about a dozen feet off the ground. A pleasant bright light shines from the crystals, a mixture of yellow and white. Dwarves of many creeds and families meander along the streets, conversation heavy in the air. It seems no Dwarf goes five paces without greeting another and discussing something.
Some men and women are rubbing the stone with other, smaller stones and cloths, buffing the surfaces to make them smoother and shinier. Painters set colourful inlays to some of the more fanciful masonry and architecture. A few statuettes sit fixed to the sides of buildings, overlooking the streets. This wide, long street ends nearby to the left, but to the right meets an intersection and continues over it, the cavern opening up higher at the crossroad. A gigantic, light-filled crystal sits hundreds of feet above a wood and stone palacial structure in the centre of this humungous cave. Carved buildings lie in carefully planned streets, people moving this way and that, the smells of softly boiled vegetables and unseasoned meats waft from the main body of the city. On the walls, thanks to how brightly lit the whole place is, cut pathways supported by additional wooden rigging and scaffolding sport similar guards to the one Gidye handed the note to.

The overpowering din of the place subsides slightly as the ears of the party become accustomed to it. The welcoming nature of the city shocks Jila into discomfort as a passerby hails him, stops to think for a moment, and then performs a customary Elven greeting before moving on. Gidye smiles and greets most of the people on the way by name, hundreds of people. At the intersection, she stops a donkey-drawn cart and speaks to the driver, asking for a lift to the palace. He agrees reluctantly, and asks everyone to hop into the back. Amongst the large, round turnips, Bennet amuses himself by watching Korik try to get comfortable, while the halfling sits perched atop one especially large vegetable.

Passing under a few stone footbridges between street sides, eventually the cart stops at a set of stone gates that open slowly. Hopping out, Gidye thanks the gentleman for his service and tosses him an octagonal metal coin; a different currency to that in Somergleam.

Climbing the stone central staircase that lies behind the large stone gates, Gidye leads to a wooden hall sat amongst the structures in this palace. High windows betray the songs being sung within, and the scents of perfumes, food and honey-scented drinks. The low, wide doors are pushed open by Gidye and she holds it open for the rest.

Within is a grand drinking hall. A small band sits in the middle, tables lay hither and tither with no set order any more and most of the stools appear to have been commandeered by a couple of Dwarves in the corner trying to complete some kind of architectural marvel.
Most of the Dwarves here are older, with hair being between streaked with grey, and completely white. It appears in the drinking and feasting that has been going on, one group in the centre has broken off into a different melody to the other. One person appears to have noticed, and tries to wrap his arms around one of the singers of the errant tune and sing his song louder. It doesn’t seem to be having the desired effect.

“Ahem.” Gidye coughs into her hand, fairly quietly. The melody-corrector looks up, a smile beaming across his face.
GIDYE!” he bellows in a rusty voice, his throat in need of clearing. “Gidye, Gidye, Gidye…” He charges over with surprising balance and hugs her, lifting her off the ground in the embrace. His bright blue tunic, lined with green and gold trim, is visually indisctinct from the clothing of most of the other Dwarves seen in the city.
“Nix Garric, I present to you King Trillhelm.” Gidye announces from her elevated position. Trillhelm puts her down, his rosy cheeks peeking over his broad beard. His eyes linger on Gidye a moment while he takes a deep breath, clears his throat and turns to Nix.
“A pleasure, Lady Nix.” He declares, rather soberly, although a twinkle of frivolity remains in his eyes and voice. “How may the crown be of service today?”

The party continues behind him, the songs having reached a crescendo of incompatible melodies.

What do you do?

Who else travelled with Nix?

Talison +10XP
Nix +10XP
Darrin +15XP
Lorawyn +10XP
Adrik +10XP
Ero +10XP
Theodore +10XP

View
Kobold Hunt pt. 30
Quarry's End

Lorrias’ eyes widen as he sees the dragons… Dragons! In the south, Dragons are all but a myth, but here, it seems, in the northern sparselands of Ferrighe Yorn, Dragons roam. And if his new allies are to be believed, they are friendly.

HexFang strides toward Jumjik, the small Kobold having annoyed her for the last time, she thinks. Grabbing him by the arm and lifting him a foot from the ground, she brings him close. Breathing sharply into his face, HexFang curls her lips as she spits her words into his face. “You best get your men off that child’s neck before i rip your motherfucking head off with my bare hands and force feed it to you!” She snaps her head to the others. “And that goes for the lot of you ungrateful minuscule vermin! We came here to your great city on a mission of god damned peace. And this is how you fucking welcome us?!?” HexFang looks around, the Kobolds for the most part having stood down, although they still hold their weapons ready. The one on Gemscale’s back jumps down. “Not only do you capture an officer of Gorbane the Primordial, and torture a motherfucking child, but then we find you stealing our unborn! Now i have given you ingrates 2 chances already, dont you dare make this strike 3. You think your spears are gonna do anything? Even if you kill us, Gorbane, that primordial dragon, will create a famine that will plague your people for as long as you exist. How do i know this? Because we came here on a mission to make your city a centrepiece of our new empire. To make you richer than your wildest dreams! And what did you ungrateful vermin do!?” She pauses, looking around again. Jumjik raises a hand, signalling the soldiers to stop. HexFang stares into Jumjik’s eyes. “Now we are going to take our eggs, and take our allies, and we are gonna fly far away from you bastards. And dont any of you think of coming after us. Because if you do, I swear we will poison your water supply, wither your crops, and burn everything you hold dear to ash. We have an understanding?”
With a low voice, Jumjik responds, and while a glint of fear wavers in his eyes, he speaks firmly and with a confidence that makes his words seem true. “Hadrukk serve Gorbane…” He drinks in HexFang’s reaction. Though she remains stoic, he continues. “Great Boom tell Taytay… Taytay tell Jumjik; Dragons… betray Gorbane.” He raises an eyebrow, an accusatory tone having taken over his words. “Dragon have head start. Hidrukk want eggs, Hidrukk get eggs… But, Jumjik want life.” He takes in a deep breath and whinces, his arm hurting from being held tightly. Looking emploringly at HexFang, the Dragon stands firm and ignores his looks of pain. He sighs. “Take friends and fly.”

Gemscale takes a tentative step forward, then another, and then quickly slinks across the crowded room to the other side, excitedly beginning to hand back the equipment and armour of the bards in their company.
“Sunrise come,” Jumjik says to HexFang, “Hadrukk give chase.” As HexFang gets an angry look in her eye, Jumjik explains. “… Great Boom command it…”
HexFang takes another breath, and finds herself unable to separate her growl from her speaking voice. “We’ll be taking the eggs. You see, you’re a fool to think we came alone. No, there were 3 Dragons. One gold… one green… and one Elder Shadow. And let me warn you this: the last one isn’t as diplomatic as we. In fact, he went mad and torched an entire town when he merely thought they had harmed that child over there!” She indicates Gemscale by thrusting the dangling Kobold at him. “So just imagine what he would do if he found out what else you were doing here.” She pulls him in even closer. The smell of the Kobold overpowers the general smokey scent of the room. HexFang looks around slyly, and then locks eyes with Jumjik again, whispering to him: “So I think it’s in your people’s best interest he not find any eggs here, don’t you?”

Jumjik smiles, confident he’s caught HexFang in an exaggeration. “Jumjik know Dragons. Jumjik met Dragon friend.” He looks up to the wrist being held by HexFang. Loosening her grip slightly, she examines the soft scale attached to a thread tied around his wrist. It looks to be a deep scarlet-coloured dragon scale, and freshly removed.
“Does that look like a Shadow scale to you?” HexFang growls harshly.

Jumjik is about to answer, when he notices a song coming from the other end of the room. Twisting around, he and HexFang look over to see Aar Bardino and the Elf that accompanies him, now suitably dressed and equipped, breaching the tentative peace. The horror dawning on Zadkiel’s face as he drops his Kobold facade mirrors that of Jumjik, HexFang and Gemscale. Aar smiles, gives a wink and completes his melody: “… when you wake with a yawn!” upon the completion of his song, an almost imperceptible ripple bursts from him and three Kobolds immediately drop unconscious. The other Kobolds get a flash of anger in their eyes, their fighting force being diminished before their eyes while a ceasefire had been called. Confused, the beastial men take up their spears once again and launch themselves at the party, Dragons and humanoids alike. “Traitors! Attack!” Jumjik calls out.
Lorrias quicly completes his spell and fells the two Kobolds that were diving at him while they were in mid-air. Collapsing backwards as the now unconscious and sleeping Kobolds crash into him, Lorrias scurries back and bumps into something.

Looking up, he sees a scaly white chin looking into the room. Swishing his cloak aside, the bone-white Kobold strides into the room, raises his crystal-tipped staff and shouts loudly in Draconic: “ENOUGH!”
The room again falls silent, the Dragons mid-melee with small hordes, Zadkiel holding a Kobold by the throat against the wall about to punch him. As the silence begins to settle in, a dead Kobold slides from Aar’s blade.

“Jumjik call end… Taytay leads.” The striking white Kobold walks through the crowd, all eyes following him, and leaves through the far door where the Dragons first entered. He begins to walk slowly up the ramp. The Kobolds in the room look around at the Dragons, at eachother, and at the humanoids killing them, and considering the command of Taytay, they quickly wriggle free and withdraw from the room. Jumjik, stopping at the doorway, looks down at Lorrias and hucks a laugh. Looking over his shoulder at HexFang, he throws a quick retort before dashing away down the corridor.
“Dragons hurry with Dragon friends. Hidrukk learn soon. Not good for Dragons.”

Once on the roof, Taytay brings down his purple hood. He looks at each of the people before him in turn, walking before them as if inspecting them.
“Dragons take eggs, Dragons hunted by Hadrukk. Dragons ready?” Before getting an answer, he turns to Zadkiel. “Craterman blood useful… Craterman stay?” Once he gets any answer that’s a ‘no’, he looks regretful, but not surprised.
“Dragons not get far. Hidrukk call Hadrukk to hunt. Great Boom commands. But! Great Boom speak to Taytay. Taytay know Great Boom want Dragons win. Great Boom promise power, but Great Boom not share. Taytay knows Great Boom.” He stops and takes a breath, seemingly tired from the climb.

What do you do?

You are now on the roof of the city of Hadrukk. You are free to leave. You have the eggs and all your equipment.

Hexfang +25XP
Gemscale +25XP
Zadkiel +25XP
Aar +25XP
Lorrias +25XP

View
Korath Discoveries pt. 4
Revelatory

As time begins to pass, Nix’s written message having been completed and handed to a passing Dwarven guard in a quilted armour doublet, the Half-Elf woman completes her study of the monolith and heads to Gidye’s study to meet Talison. She closes the door gently behind her, and then paces towards a stack of books almost purposefully before spinning on her heel, her hands wringing slightly. She is very uncomfortable. Eventually, she sits on a stool and clears her throat, composing herself and straightening a crinkly in her dress.
The woman identified herself as Daeseregruin, a member of the Order of the Monolith, which Talison recognises as Nix’s order, but it isn’t something he’s terribly aware of. He’s come across the term, but the order doesn’t hold sway in the circles he is used to being in.

Daeseregruin goes into how she identified Geran as a Gold Dragon, and muses on possible reasons for his being here. From the potential warfare over the monolith, to the greed for power, no explanation fits perfectly. She proposes trying to find more information, and she offers to perform some of that research if she can. She does point out that as far as she knows, there is no connection between Dragons and Monoliths in history. Regarding Geran’s lack of turning back into a Dragon, she fears the moment he does, but suggests keeping Geran in the tunnels or other small areas; if he’s a larger Dragon, he should be stifled by solid walls should they not be able to contain his true form.

Darrin sniggers at Geran’s offer of a reward, assuming this to be the disingenuous ploy of a Dragon. Darrin persists, and speaks quietly and privately to Darrin. The conversation intrigues Lorawyn, who transforms into a cat again while out of sight and sits closely, eavesdropping.

As Darrin and Geran’s conversation ends, Nix charges over, processing the information she has been given. Mouth agape, she slaps him across the face, pulling her strike before it connects to make it a lighter, more playful hit. She then feather-slaps his shoulder, struggling to hold in a chuckle and a smile. She sheepishly curses, and begins to rattle of questions such as why he’s pretending to be an Elf, why he hasn’t turned back, and others. As she’s talking, her face twitches and a frown, sneer, look of shock and an amused puzzlement all fight over her features. “I just slapped a Dragon. And teleported through a newly discovered monolith. But the Dragon was an Elven prince…” Nix stumbles back against the monolith and slides down to sit next to Geran for a moment.
She chuckles. “Well, oh great Dragon! I’m sorry for all that. No hard feelings. We will figure something out soon.” She raises her eyebrows apologetically and lets out a sigh. Almost like a lever being flipped, she then leaps up and runs out the door. “Hope you feel better Darrin! My dad always told me breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. That might help!”

Geran looks around, genuinely baffled. Jila leans in close as if to offer an explanation, and then pats him on the cheek with the back of his hand a couple of times, thinking better of it.

Gidye emerges from another room she had taken herself to while Talison and Daeseregruin talked. “I have spoken with one of the district Viceroys, and we have secured temporary lodging for you all. Since we have concluded our Monolith-centred activities, you’re free to use it to leave should you so desire, and be able to, butif you do, please… can I watch?” She hangs on the end of that question for slightly longer than comfortable, then continues as though nothing had happened. “If you do choose to stay, the Diadic Juniper is available with rooms, food and entertainment. The Order has firm connections with the owner.” She smiles warmly, turning at last to Theodore and Darrin. “I’ll be down here for the next day or so; you are free to join me in my study and peruse my library if you wish.”

Ero smiles wryly at Gidye while she’s talking, leaning casually against the wall, his backpack now beginning to gently shift as the contents begin to awaken…

What do you do?

Talison +15XP
Nix +10XP
Darrin +15XP
Lorawyn +10XP
Adrik +5XP
Ero +10XP
Theodore +10XP

View
Korath Discoveries pt. 3
Messages and Maps

Gidye, Nix and Darrin head to the dwarven Knight’s study/bedroom to organise communiques. One to Nix’s Uncle Tipsin, another to her retainers and Kaila, and a copy of the Tipsin message to be passed on to another Gnome in the vicinity. Gidye suggests a Gnome trader in the city who will be operating from the barter quarter.

Almost immediately, due to the spell Gidye cast, Nix has her responses; Tipsin will make his way from Garric Hollow to the Citadel of Uril in 6 days. He will be alerting the family to this journey. Zook shares that they are all safe, and will wait for Nix. Gidye will write out Nix’s message and hand it to a guard patrol, suggesting that such guards that patrol near the Monolith are trustworthy.

Darrin checks out the maps he can see, while Theodore, Lorawyn and Adrik approach on Nix’s request. A brief discussion is had, where it is decided that so long as the Monolith is not abused and respect for it is kept, they know of no issues the Druid Order would have with Nix’s organisation attempting to control the situation around the new discovery.

Theodore casts his gaze upon some of the papers uncovered by Darrin as he starts rooting through the maps. There are loads of arcane writings, spell scrolls and treatises on magical theory. A few papers feel strange, as though they are imbued with magics. Theodore can identify 3 spell scrolls: Earth Tremor, Shield, Thunderwave
There are mixtures of maps; some accurate to what is known, some inaccurate. The inaccurate ones have notations all over, mostly corrections. There are several symbols on various parchments that are royal seals, others are guild symbols or translation matrices for unusual languages and ciphers. There appears to be some literature trying to connect the Monoliths to the Druid Order, but the quantity of them seems to suggest this is just theory. There are a few leatherbound collections labeled as critical deconstructions of the process of worship.

“I’d be happy to make my work available to you at a more convenient time, but I’m afraid I’m busy helping your friend…” Gidye is trying to be polite, but is obviously uncomfortable with Darrin and Theodore thumbing through her study papers without permission. The two look up at her sheepishly, apparently rapt in their rummaging that neither realised what they were doing until now.

“Hey, stop!” Talison calls to the Half-Elf woman. Jogging over to her, he lowers his voice. “Do you know this Elf?” He points to Geran.
“I… believe I was mistaken. Something felt off about your friend, but it was likely a reaction to his incarceration. Appearances… make a difference.” It is obvious to the Magolglir soldier that she isn’t being truthful, and that she’s intimidated by him. After assuring her that he is not a threat to her, she confides that she believes that the Geran in custody is not the real Prince Geran, and that he is in fact a Gold Dragon in disguise. She agrees to meet in half an hour to discuss more.

Darrin and Nix are made privvy to this information, to which Darrin is confused, thinking that perhaps Gold Dragon is a standard of rank of which he is unaware. He approaches Geran, offering food.
“If you are trying to placate me, it will not work. You would do well to find some way to release me, Elfblood. My people can reward you well, and between you and me… I don’t think this Nix Whimsy of House Garric can handle the fallout of being the girl who unlawfully kidnapped an Elven Prince.”
Jila and Simon overhear, and Simon leans in, a sneer on his face. “That girl overpowered you.” He stops as if to think of a good follow up. “And you’re a bad person.” Simon stands up, trying to recover from his lack of punchline. Bennet places a sympathetic hand on Simon’s, consoling him in a patronising way. Korik stifles a chuckle.

What do you do?

Talison +15XP
Nix +10XP
Darrin +10XP
Lorawyn +10XP
Adrik +10XP
Ero +5XP
Theodore +10XP

View
Kobold Hunt pt. 29
Royal Rumble

Aar stops to take stock of their situation; looking around frantically and placing a free hand on the walls of the corridor, he quietly checks for other exits, any sign of an escape route they can take. The sounds of frantic yipping and calls for calm while the authorities “handle strangers” suggest an escape would be prudent sooner rather than later.

Zadkiel examines the door down the corridor a ways; The grotesque on the door knocker has some resemblance to an occult relief in the southern regions, that being Kogon the Dragon Sorcerer. He is an iconic being and deity in Kobold culture. This appears to bear similarities to his likeness, but with significant alterations. It is unclear whether this is a stylistic recreation, a portrait usurping Kogonic art styles, or simply a regional variation.
Regardless, any door this symbol rests upon will be of great importance, like a ceremony room, burial chamber or throne room.

Zadkiel manages to move the door open slowly. It’s horrendously heavy to begin with, and slow to open. Inside, drums and a horn instrument can be heard. More sconce-held lanterns line the room inside which is incredibly tall compared to the rest of the structure. Tall pillar beams support a flat roof above.

Strangely woven tapestries are hung along the walls, with plenty of reds and dark greens used. At the far end of the room sits a shrine made of stone and metal pieces cobbled together to rouchly imitate a dragon’s head. Inside sits a throne made of pottery.

In front, a long table sits lined with plenty of dishes of food, a few lit candles and a Kobold sits at the head. The Kobold sits feasting on his own, an additional three places set out. There appear to be several guards holding what appear to be short halberds, standing guard every few feet along the walls. Perhaps twenty or so in the room. They stand to attention, seemingly unaware of the situation in the rest of the city. There look to be other exits from this room at various intervals, but the tapestries and support beams make it hard to see from the door.
Closing the door gently and moving to open the other the group was faced with, it appears to be an armoury cum barracks on the other side; there are sacks on the ground, piles of wooden and leather items such as spears, shields and armour pieces. Besides the dozens of Kobolds in the room, at the opposite end of the room are the two Dragons fighting the Kobolds. They do not appear to be faring well.
“Jackpot!” Zadkiel whisper-shouts to the other two. “I found our dragons.” Motioning for them to go first, he is met with a skeptical look at first. Raising his scaly brows and the burden in his hands: “My hands are full.”

Lorrias peers through the door now, and mutters “Our drago…” under his breath, stopping when he sees the two dull-coloured beasts throwing Kobolds about and majestically faring off hurled spears as though they were nothing. Despite being the size of large horses, they look strong. Drawing his shortsword, the bold Elf strides into the room and, making a bit of a show, drags the flat of his blade along his sleeve. Sparks fly out from this act, a result of his minor spellcasting. Swinging the sword up, he brings it crashing down onto the back of a Kobold warrior in the midst of his getting his armour on. The blow cracks the leather, evidently dried and unsuitable for protection much anyway. In a snap turn, the Kobold grabs a dagger from the pile in front of him and sweeps around, cutting at the Wizard’s legs. Managing the step back just in time, Lorrias’ heart still races and almost skips a beat.

Gemscale swings around and tries to shake the Kobolds from his back again. Taking advantage of one of them flailing their legs out, he grabs it by the ankle, throws it to the ground and rakes his claws down its chest. The spray is nauseating, the smell of their blood having a strange, herbal twang to it. The other Kobold scampers further up Gemscale’s back, heading towards his neck.

HexFang furiously roars, tossing the beam aside towards some nearby Kobolds. Trying to leap onto Jumjik, the diminutive warrior rolls out of the way, landing in a crouched position, spear firmly in hand. He dashes towards HexFang and leaps up, jabbing the spear into her left thigh. Twisting it, he drops down to the ground and looks at her, a sly grin on his face. Fighting back the pain of the strike, HexFang rears her head back and roars loudly. The sound fills the room, and Jumjik’s face falls. A few other Kobolds take a few steps away, now wary of how to approach. Their numbers, it seems, quickly quell their reactions, however.

Roll for Initiative (1d20 + your dexterity modifier). What do you do?

HexFang takes 3 Hit Points of damage.

Gemscale takes 2 Hit Points of damage.

Hexfang +10XP
Gemscale +10XP
Zadkiel +10XP
Aar +10XP
Lorrias +10XP

View
Kobold Hunt pt. 28
Dangerous Liason

Lorrias and the bards choose to turn right, chasing the corridors onward until another sharp right. Several tunnels and rooms contain kobolds that are either huddling together from the calamatous noise, or collapsed on the floor having just dived out of the way. The group manage to find their way to a choice of two large doors. The first is directly ahead, and a loud raucous can be heard on the other side of the lightweight-looking doors. To the left is a small corridor lined by sconces, within which are sticks with hanging lanterns on them. The door is wooden with metal inlay, and it rises up above the ceiling; the room beyond is taller than this particular level. A knocker on the door has the face of a grotesque, the huge iron ball looking rarely used, but aged.

HexFang hefts the broken beam back and tries to turn it in order to swing it around, but the size of the thing and the width of the corridor and doorway make it all but impossible. Thrusting it forward and bringing it around as much as she can, it clips one kobold while the others duck and dive under it. Nursing his new headwound, the Kobold raises his head to look at HexFang… it’s Jumjik! The Kobold that brought her in, the one that taunted her as she lay wounded on the roof of the city. With a raspy, grating shout, Jumjik leaps forward and jabs his spear at HexFang. She weaves quickly to one side, the Kobold landing on his feet and swinging his spear ineffectually at her neck. Two other Kobolds, however, more successfully strike at the Dragon, penetrating between two scales, taking advantage of the distraction Jumjik provided.

More thrown spears soar through the air, most of them landing wild or simply bouncing off the scales of the armoured serpents. Gemscale dashes through the barrage and reaches the doorway, his unwarranted riders clinging on despite his deliberate collisions with the doorframe, and his shaking vigorously from side to side. One of the even manages to scrape harshly along one of his scales, sending the schock of pain all the way up his back. Moving back into the corridor, Gemscale manages to position himself so that he’s still able to attack any escaping Kobolds, but he’s mostly out of danger. HexFang, still striking and dodging from the doorway, manages to cause enough distraction that Gemscale is mostly safe, bar the two riders he still has.

What do you do?

HexFang and Gemscale, roll for Initiative (1d20 + dexterity bonus).

HexFang takes 5 Hit Points of damage.

Gemscale takes 4 Hit Points of damage.

Hexfang +15XP
Gemscale +15XP
Zadkiel +10XP
Aar +10XP
Lorrias +10XP

View
Korath Discoveries pt. 2
Twilight Bark

“No time for that,” Nix whispers to Gidye, the female Dwarf looking intrigued at the suggestion of a juicy tale to be told at a later date. “I need a gnome and to assemble every member of the order that we can muster at the ruins of a Citadel to the west of Somergleam, around 3 days travel.”
“Ah… The Citadel of Uril?” Gidye interrupts, seemingly bursting to discuss more; she respectfully holds her tongue for now.
“We have found another monolith and potentially 2 elven houses are encroaching on it. The last thing we need is warring elves on our door and I am sure King Trillhelm will have quite the interest in having the monolith in at least a bit more friendly hands than the elves. No time for study. Lets get a move on.” she pauses. “Oh and one more thing.” Nix leans in a bit closer. “We opened a gate through it and stepped out here in your monolith! Now what is the fastest you can get a message to Garric Hollow?”

Gidye’s face drops in astonishment, quickly rivalled by a shrill squeel of glee. Grabbing Nix’s arms, she looks into her eyes proudly. “For you, Nix: in minutes. Allow me to compose the message; my chambers are through this door and to the left.” She indicates to the door over her left shoulder, to Nix’s right as she’s stepping out of the corridor leading to the Monolith. “You stay with your friends. I will be back with the responses.”

“If I might interject,” Theodore looks at Darrin as he begins saying this, reading a similar note of objection in his face as Theodore feels. Turning to face Nix and this Dwarven woman, he continues “but if we’re calling to send people to the Citadel of Uril, might we be able to insist upon this being done peaceably? There are indigens to the caverns below that appear to mean no harm.”
Gidye gives an affirmative nod, and smiles and squeezes Nix’s arm affectionately as she pulls away and pushes open the large wooden door on her way to her chamber. She leaves the door open.

As Nix turns around to face the party, Darrin, still holding his nose from walking into the Monolith, jogs up to her and leans in close to have a whispered discussion. His voice is strained, tense and a few octaves higher than normal. “Nix, can I talk to you for a moment?”
“No.” Nix pauses, realising that she was perhaps a little too blunt. “I’m sorry, Darrin, of course. It’s just… This is just massively important. We have to move with all haste on this.”
“Remember that these people are also citizens of Korath, and we have potentially just delivered unbridled instant transport to Somergleam. Now, I don’t know the politics of the city, but if there’s an imperialist faction here, we’ve potentially just delivered them the means to take Somergleam.” Darrin darts his eyes furtively over Nix’s head for a moment. “We must be wary.” He looks back at Nix, who has begun to smile brightly again. Seemingly undeterred from his worry, he continues. “Do not reveal how the portal is activated to anyone here, I beg you. You may trust these people, but you do not know how many people around them can be trusted. The best held secret is that which goes unspoken.”

Allowing a brief pause, Nix tries to breathe out normally but ends up delivering a brief chuckle. “Darrin, you are a brilliant man. I appreciate your insight. Come, I must introduce you to an old friend of mine. She has been to the Hollow many times. She is a member of my order.” Nix takes Darrin by the arm gently. “What you say is wise. I am good at keeping secrets hidden… For the most part… And there was that time-” she catches herself before succumbing to a lengthy tale. “anyway, I really need to get some things in motion with my order.” She releases Darrin’s arm at the open door Gidye went through. As she begins to skip along towards the first door on the left in the next corridor, she calls out a Gnomish rhyme. “A greeting of sorts.” she turns and smiles at Darrin before pressing on the handle-plate switch for the door, lifting the latch and opening it into the room.
With a bad feeling still wriggling over his skin, Darrin is only slightly more at ease than he was moments ago. “Remember, this is not home soil! Our position is still precarious!” he calls after her. Wandering through to the corridor after Nix, “Is it a Gnome thing, or…” he mutters to himself.

In Gidye’s quarters, it looks like a small study cum bedroom. A small wooden bedframe with a well made mattress on it sits in the corner. Around it, and littering the shelves nailed to every spare bit of wall are books and scrolls, parchments and charcoal rubbings of various symbols and drawings. A desk with a few small leather pouches set upon it, along with candles and stacks of paper, sits by the door in the cramped room. Gidye stands at this desk, writing out several short paragraphs in Dwarven using a thin stick of charcoal onto a crumpled piece of paper. She mouths along as she’s writing. “So if I send two messages to Tipsin, one on Order business and the other on family business, and then we can simply head into the city to speak to Trillhelm… Is that the plan? And… Let’s see what I’ve got so far… The Order to converge on the new monolith… What shall I say is the family matter?”

Geran shifts in his restraints as the Half-Elf woman strides by to get to the Monolith. Casting a wandering eye on Bennet, she slows as she passes Geran and shoots him a shocked look that’s over before it takes root. She continues to the Monolith, occassionally glancing back at the prisoner.

What do you do?

Talison +5XP
Nix +15XP
Darrin +15XP
Lorawyn +5XP
Adrik +5XP
Ero +5XP
Theodore +15XP

View
Korath Discoveries
Citadel in the Rearview

Upon reaching the other side, Talison and the others feel a vigor and endurance returning to their aching muscles, the short sleep on the stone floor about an hour ago not being the most comfortable of evenings. Talison enjoys the rush, hopping onto his toes and punching the air a few times. Simon grins widely, astonished at the discoveries everyone is making and how excited they all are. Despite not inviting Talison or Korik along, Simon is pleased they are here. He then thinks for a moment, realising that there are some people missing. Spotting Theodore disappear back into the Monolith, he smiles again and rests his chin on the side of his staff, relaxing while everyone slowly spreads and examines the room.

Apart from Nix and Darrin, that is; they seem content grilling Geran for information.
“What did you do to me, witch? Why am I now trapped like this?”
Nix’s eyes scrunch slightly as she fights her reaction to the accusation, dragging her teeth over her bottom lip. Turning her head and clearing her throat, she turns with a deep breath, recomposing herself. She opens her mouth to speak, her face having now fallen back into a look of authority and strength.

Ero looks around, his otherwordly muscles beginning to relax from tensing up at his vision. The mushroomoid people appear to be purplexed, keeping a safe distance for the most part. Letting out a sigh as it becomes obvious that not a single one of these creatures can enlighten him regarding this crystal monolith. As he spins on his heel to wander away and find a distraction, Theodore pushes his head through the portal again. “Are you trying to make friends too?”

Stepping out from the monolith for a moment, the two of them look around. The near-silence of the cavern is peaceful; even the leathery stretching sounds of the fungal folk moving around becomes reminiscent of branches moving in the wind. After taking the moment to gather themselves, and potentially saying goodbye to the mushroomoids, they move to enter the Monolith again… only the way has sealed. Feeling their way around, a panic begins to set in for a mere moment before Theodore remembers what Lorawyn did. Smiling to himself at his momentary foolishness, he closes his eyes and straightens out his beard.

Sharply taking in a breath, Theodore begins to hear a quiet song in his mind, a melody of the Feyweave that always comforted him. Now, however, like it had in his training, he uses this song to stoke a passion in his belly. Allowing the notes to tingle his skin and inspire him, he feels the waves of certainty and clarity flood his veins. Opening his eyes with a slight flutter, he quickly dismisses the faint green glow his eyes took on and returns them to normal. Holding out his gauntleted hand, he slowly approaches the Monolith again, this time his hand going through. Turning and nodding to Ero, he walks through again, the lightning-borne celestial following behind.

They emerge as Nix empties out Geran’s satchel, pouring clothes and a mason jar full of charred foodstuffs onto the floor. She checks the bag lining and looks into every crevice. Besides uncovering patches and other repairs, she finds nothing else in the bag. Geran is whisper-shouting at Darrin, talking about the Elves he travelled with as if they were strangers, and talking about how the Edhel house was unaware of the monolith. This causes Jila to visibly bristle, and his incredulity is plain to see on his face.

Geran then shares that the reason he brought the Edhel Elves to the area was to help him get to the Monolith and access it in order to prepare for a potential threat from the North, a region called Ferrighe Yorn. While he is being scrutinised, he appears to be all over the map with regards to his feelings and intentions. For the most part, it’s determined that he poses no immediate threat to the party, but he seems focused on determining the reason he can’t do… something. Something that makes him feel trapped, but it appears he’s not talking about the ropes.

After discussing the next course of action, most agree to continue onward into the city of Korath, the Dwarven city to which they seem to have been transported. Through the main doorway ahead, the faint sound of footsteps can be heard. Nix begins to hurriedly power-walk down the corridor to find a potential ally…
Checking the Citadel again, Darrin races back to the Monolith while turning his head to shout to the others what he’s doing. Turning back to face the Monolith as he moves through the portal… collapsing to the ground nursing his nose, Darrin stands again with help from Jila and Simon. Bennet and Korik immediately begin patting the sides of the Monolith, checking for where the portal went, panicking slightly at the thought of taking a week to get back. Bennet then loses the colour from his cheeks. “… Kaila! Zook, and the others…”

Before she can react to this, Nix reaches the antechamber down the corridor and encounters a pair of brightly-coloured robes with people in them. A Dwarf, whom she recognises, and a Half-Elf, whom she does not.
“Nix! Nix, how lovely to see you. I had no idea you were coming to visit.” Gidye, the Dwarf, greets Nix warmly and moves in for a hug. She smells strongly of honey, spices and a warm, earthy scent. She has attended meetings with the Order in Garric Hollow before.

When Gidye steps back to allow her companion to speak, she immediately holds her hand up as a barrier to stop Nix. “I’m unfortunately well versed in Gnome traditions. Alas, we have study to attend soon, and so I don’t have time time for your family history.” She pulls a curt face. “You’re Nix. I’m…” she looks up at the ceiling, almost as if deciding whether to roll her eyes or not. “… already exhausted with this conversation.” Turning to Gidye: “Come and fetch me when you’re done.” And with that, the Half-Elf bows suprisingly respectfully and wanders by into the Monolith chamber.

“Never you mind old grumpy; she turned 70 recently and thinks she an old soul, now.” Gidye looks genuinely pleased to see Nix, and passes her gaze over the party with only the slightest concern when she sees Geran tied up. “… Interesting journey?”

What do you do?

Talison +10XP
Nix +10XP
Darrin +15XP
Lorawyn +5XP
Adrik +5XP
Ero +15XP
Theodore +15XP

View
Kobold Hunt pt. 27
Another Fine Mess

HexFang manages to tear down the support, a brief creaking from the rest of the ramp supports indicating their new workload. Carrying it, she skips to the doors nearby and opens them, revealing a massive armoury/barracks hybrid. Dozens of Kobolds have been roused from piles of sacks and are raking through disorganised piles of spears and armour, many of them ready and chiding the remaining unarmed Kobolds for their slow progress. When the door opens, they all stare at her.

As a contingent charge with their spears readied, a few dash behind cover and throw their spears instead. Many land really close, one causing Gemscale to flinch, another hitting HexFang along her left thigh, rattling the soft scales.

In retaliation, Gemscale stomps forward, swinging his tail hard and hitting a Kobold in the chest firmly enough that his ribs audibly crack.
Looking around, Gemscale notices several sizable piles of spears, halberds and wooden shields that, since they nearly reach the ceiling, provide decent cover. Indeed, the Kobolds themselves are using this to their advantage already.

Another couple of Kobolds decide to attack, leaping onto Gemscale’s side and trying to stab through his armour, but their short arm swings can’t seem to bring enough force to bear behind the spears at this short range.

Lorrias, Zadkiel and Aar manage to dash through the doors out of the market and find themselves amongst more corridors, and what appears to be a mostly civilian Kobold population. There are two main passageways, one being straight ahead and the other leading right.

Between them, they’re able to deduce that they’re heading deeper into the city. For Lorrias, this means closer to the stone carvings he needs. For Aar and Zadkiel, this means further from an immediate exit. The path to the right, however, curves to the right again at the end. This would mean it bends around the marketplace and could lead them back to the beastiary and the Dragons.

What do you do?

HexFang and Gemscale, roll for Initiative (1d20 + dexterity bonus).

Gemscale, you can make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check at Disadvantage to try and remove the two Kobolds clambering over you.

HexFang takes 3 Hit Points of damage.

Gemscale takes 4 Hit Points of damage.

Hexfang +10XP
Gemscale +10XP
Zadkiel +10XP
Aar +10XP
Lorrias +10XP

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.